UPCOMING EVENTS AND MEETINGS
All York River Study Committee meetings are open to the public. Interested citizens are invited and encouraged to attend. Contact Jennifer Hunter, York River Study Coordinator, for more information about any meeting.
York River Study Committee Meetings
5:30-7:30 p.m. on the fourth Tuesday of the month, Grant House, 200 US Route 1, York, Maine
Dates in 2017: January 24, February 28, March 28, April 25, May 23, June 27,
July 25 July meeting cancelled, August 22, September 26, October 24, November 28, December 19 (third Tuesday of December)
Outreach Subcommittee Meetings
5:30-7:00 p.m. on the first Thursday of the month, Grant House, 200 US Route 1, York, Maine
Dates in 2017: January 5, February 2,
March 2 rescheduled to March 9 (at 5:00 p.m. and at York Public Library – new time and location for this meeting only), April 6, May 4 (May meeting cancelled), June 1, July 6 (July meeting cancelled), August 3, September 7, October 5, November 2, December 7. If you are interested in attending a meeting, please contact Jennifer Hunter in advance to confirm that the subcommittee still is meeting as planned.
ORV Subcommittee Meetings
This subcommittee focused on watershed resources (ORV = outstandingly remarkable values, a Wild and Scenic Rivers Act term) meets monthly, but not on a set day. Dates and times are chosen based on members’ availability. In 2017 each monthly meeting will focus in-depth on a specific resource or topic area. See the meeting plan and schedule for ORV topics: ORV Subcomm 2017 meeting topics summary. Contact Jennifer Hunter for information.
YORK RIVER STUDY IN THE NEWS
- Understanding York River through walking tours, York Weekly/Seacoast Online, July 4, 2017
- Discovering the past one shard at a time, York Weekly/Seacoast Online, June 27, 2017
- YHS students study fish species in York River, York Weekly/Seacoast Online, May 9, 2107
- York River talks focus on harbor dredge, overuse, York Weekly/Seacoast Online, May 1, 2107
- York River study to delve into Eliot’s archaeology, Portsmouth Herald/Seacoast Online, April 13, 2017
- Two studies of York River soon underway, York Weekly/Seacoast Online, January 31, 2107
- Kudos for community connections, Seacoast Online Editorial, January 31, 2017
- ‘Education not regulation’ of York River, Seacoast Online, October 25, 2016
- York River committee updates residents on its work, Seacoast Online, June 20, 2016
- York River watershed worthy of federal study, Seacoast Online Editorial, March 29, 2016
- Four-town committee works to preserve York River watershed, Portsmouth Herald, March 27, 2016
- York River study committee starts meeting, Seacoast Online, December 1, 2015
- Study begins of York River, ‘stunning natural resource,’ Bangor Daily News, September 2, 2015
- Maine’s humble York River moves into spotlight, Portland Press Herald, March 10, 2014
PAST EVENTS (see presentations and other outreach materials on the Study Documents webpage)
Public Meetings and Events – Fall 2016
- September 12 – Update to York Board of Selectmen, Selectmen’s meeting, 7:00 p.m., York Public Library Community Room
- September 24 – York River Study Committee booth at Eliot Festival Day, 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- October 3 – York River Study Committee meeting with Eliot Historical Society and Eliot Conservation Commission at the Historical Society’s regular monthly meeting, 7:00 p.m., Eliot Grange
- October 14 & 15 – York River Study Committee booth at York Village Marketfest, 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- October 17 – Public presentation and meeting at York Public Library Community Room, 15 Long Sands Road, York, 6:30 p.m. Members of the York River Study Committee will give a 30 minute presentation on the study, followed by 30 minutes of questions and comments from the audience. In addition, attendees can review watershed maps, identify important watershed resources and provide other input on the study.
- October 24 – Public meeting/workshop with the Kittery Town Council, 200 Rogers Road, Kittery, 6:00 p.m. Members of the York River Study Committee will give a 15 minute presentation on the study, followed by time for questions and comments.
- November 1 – Public meeting/workshop with the South Berwick Town Council, 180 Main Street, South Berwick, 6:30 p.m. Members of the York River Study Committee will give a 15 minute presentation on the study, followed by time for questions and comments.
- December 8 (rescheduled from November 10) – Public meeting with the Eliot Board of Selectmen, Eliot Town Hall. Regular meeting begins at 5:30 with the York River Study Committee’s report likely around 5:40 p.m. Members of the York River Study Committee will give a 15 minute presentation on the study, followed by time for questions and comments.
Sign Up for Emails
Please fill out this form if you’d like to be added to our mailing list and hear about future announcements and events.