The York River Watershed Stewardship Plan was approved by the York River Study Committee at its July 24, 2018 meeting. Additional document layout and graphics updates were made in August, and an Executive Summary was added to the final document.
Separate volumes that accompany the Stewardship Plan:
- Aman, Jacob. (2018) An Assessment of Spring Fish Communities in the York River, Maine. Report to the York River Study Committee. Wells National Estuarine Research Reserve, Wells, Maine.
- Hudgell, Gemma-Jayne, Stephen R. Scharoun, Robert N. Bartone, and Ellen R. Cowie. (2017)
Archaeological Survey of the York River Headwaters: A Community Approach for Identification and Management. Prepared for the York River Study Committee. Northeast Archaeology
Research Center, Inc., Farmington, Maine.
- Mallory, Steven and Scott Stevens. (2017) Architectural Survey of the Upper York River. Prepared for the York River Study Committee. Groundroot Preservation Group, LLC, Cape Neddick, Maine.
- Southern Maine Planning and Development Commission. (2018) York River Watershed Study: Regulatory and Non-regulatory Recommendations Report. Prepared for the York River Study Committee, York, Maine.
- Spatial Alternatives, Inc., and Southern Maine Planning and Development Commission. (2018) York Watershed Build Out Scenarios. Prepared for the York River Study Committee, York, Maine.
There’s an accompanying “Story Map” – or online tour – that provides highlights, maps and data from the Stewardship Plan. The Story Map was developed by Wells Reserve with funding from the York Community Initiatives Fund of the Maine Community Foundation. View the Story Map here: https://arcg.is/njfP9
~~ PRIOR UPDATES (older versions of the Draft Stewardship Plan sections) ~~
DRAFT York River Watershed Stewardship Plan – posted June 15, 2018
The complete draft plan is available for review. Please provide comments, questions, corrections, or other feedback to the York River Study Committee by July 6, 2018. Email or call Study Coordinator Jennifer Hunter (firstname.lastname@example.org or 207-641-9122) or come to the June 26 York River Study Committee meeting, 5:30-7:30 pm at the Grant House in York.
Outline of York River Watershed Stewardship Plan (PDF format, updated May 13)
Objectives and Key Actions to meet resource stewardship goals:
- Cultural and Historic Resources (MS Word format, posted May 8)
- Natural Resources (MS Word format, posted May 8)
- Working Waterfront, Recreational Resources, and Community Character (MS Word format, posted May 8)
- Draft Objectives and Key Actions for All Three Sections in one document (PDF format, posted May 8)
Please provide feedback on Draft Objectives and Key Actions by May 29, 2018, so that the York River Study Committee can consider input before its next draft in June. To provide input on any drafts, please contact the York River Study Coordinator (email email@example.com or call 207-641-9122) or attend the upcoming York River Study Committee meeting, which is Tuesday, May 22, at 5:30 p.m. at the Grant House in York, to share your ideas or listen to further discussion on the plan. Please indicate if you plan to attend this meeting by emailing Jennifer Hunter in advance.
The draft stewardship objectives and key actions are intended to protect important watershed resources for current and future generations. These recommendations have been developed by the York River Study Committee over the last year after extensive review of watershed data, reports and comprehensive plans, and discussions with community groups, resource experts, and watershed residents. Much background information, including detailed notes and presentations from meetings and reports from new studies, is included on the Study Documents page.